Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two wheeled commuting

I bought a road bike because the mountain bike has started to hurt my wrists. Wrist pain is fine every once in a while, but not every day. Today was a bad day with the road bike. I should have known when the thunder clapped as I unlocked my speed machine, but I didn't. Pretty soon the rain was coming down so hard that it hurt, and I couldn't see a thing. That's a recipe for disaster, so I stopped and waited in the overhang of a building. I felt like a wimp. Ten minutes later the sun came out and everything was beautiful again. I should have studied fifteen more minutes and missed the downpour, but no, I had to be a MAN. AAAARGH. YAWP. ROAR.

At lunch I went to a medical appointment to discuss my records with a retired Navy physician before I go to Louisville. The Navy wants to see if I'm healthy enough for shark bait. Easy enough, the doctor was a retired Navy officer, nice man, director of Student Health Services for the University. When he hadn't asked anything about my health history halfway through my appointment, I realized that the meeting wasn't about my health at all. It was an interview. Fancy that. I went to a job interview in shorts and a polo shirt, brown clogs w/white socks, and carrying a backpack. Smooth. When I realized my mistake, I asked the nice admiral what the purpose of our meeting was, and then tried to explain. I hope he understood my misunderstanding.

No comments: